I also have a 120GB Kingston SSD in the ODD bay running as the OS partition with Windows Server 2012 (now R2) – other than having to change the existing 4-pin to a SATA power connector, I have had no problems. On the nas4free front, it installed very easily but I’m not finding the performance great with the two VMDKs in a ZFS mirror. Required fields are marked *. The G1610T is not your grandfather’s Celeron. for ILO, events, etc.? I’m going to try 5.1 next to see if it’s an issue with 5.5. However, sometimes the system will not boot up with the LSI installed; it continually reboots after the POST screen. Being new to this, I assume that the Microserver could be configured to generate an alarm/event/notification if thermal thresholds were exceeded, or possibly even power down the unit to prevent thermal damage, by using Intel’s Thermal Monitoring (Technology)/ management CPU functionality….. or is my understanding incorrect? Changed the config and now the server is inaudible. Wonder the 60W is rating at idle state or working state ? Any comments on what sort of power consumption we’re looking at for the Gen8? As a side note, I found that disabling VT-d on the cpu makes for a more stable run. Ben, Hi Ben, The important thing to note is that the Xeon … HP ProLiant MicroServer. With ESXI 5.5 I wasn’t able turn on my WindowVM with passthrough to this GC. Thanks for the help! Hello Ben, I’m using an E3-1230 V2. Die Reihenfolge der besten Hp Microserver Gen8 Xeon. I’ve tried every bios combination with no improvement. I now realize my quiet, energy-efficient N40L is probably inadvisable for SBS 2011 — despite reports that it will load. (I can live with that) I understand that virtual disks cannot be mounted, just in the trial period, but that doesn’t matter. Passthrough for a LSI SAS/SATA 9211-8i controller through ESXi 5.1 into a virtual machine works fine too. Must say I’m on my way to looking for a new board due to lack of 16gb blocks, sad to say. Thanks a lot for your post. Someone have the same issue or maybe a solution, what I could try? 60 € VB 61239 Ober- Mörlen. But they cost the same as a Gen8 Microserver off ebay. Runs in Raid1 for my OS, which is Hyper-V 2012R2. Only supports 16GB memory (that we know of). – HP SmartMemory performance is 25% higher with Unbuffered ECC (UDIMM) memory and capable of supporting 1333 MT/s up to 2 DIMMs per channel at 1.35V. Sorry. Then via putty you’d use vmfstools in order to repartition or reformat the disk. Given how old this post is I’m not expecting a reply, but wondering if you had to do any tricks in the BIOS (not that I can see any options) to get it to work? 3) Gigabyte just made a new board GA-9SISL. There are 4 HDD … Thanks for your comment as well. I use it as my home network infrastructure via ESXi Server. Normally at just above 40 it seems. Is it important? Frank, it has 1 internal SAS connector. Cheers…, Not sure if this help but I bought a bare E3-1265Lv2 and just plugged it in. So the ZIL, L2ARC, and 3 2TB spindle drives in RAID-Z make up the zpool array which is shared back to VMware as a data store via NFS. USB 2.0 equipment work fine in the 3.0 ports. HP fails to mention this. HP has a problem, not just with the micro server, but other models of gen8 as well. So I got a Gen8, with 16GB RAM, four 4TB WD RED’s to no really use :O( For now the servers purpose is to serve some shares from a Windows machine run from a 2.5″ HDD in the ODD bay. EN 60950-1, This entry shows up 3 times, then 13 hours after the third occurrence I get: But this was only a day after the initial license install (and less than a week after it was generated at HP’s web site). The 420 seems to have more FBWC available than P222. EUR 619,90 . I think it should…. 5. i cannot find it . If i DO go for raid10, i’d prefer a card in there that will give full 6gbit to each controller. Okay, so it’s then confirmed, that the P410 isn’t supported (at least not 100%), as stated in the technical document (where it doesn’t appear). Please do let us know if you get the LSI working in PCI passthrough with ESXi; I couldn’t get my LSI card (9240 flashed into LSI 9211 IT mode) working in passthrough mode on ESXi 5.5. Hey Frank. It obviously depends on what you’re trying to do, but I would put the controller into SATA mode and run ZFS over using the 120i in just about any scenario… the only thing I have seen close to ZFS’s end-to-end data integrity is buying a storage appliance like NimbleStorage… but ZFS is free and open source and will run on your Microserver. Is there an error message when you try? I see you had no issues upgrading to e3-1230v2. I don’t want to mess with that so I bought an ILO Advanced 1-year subscription off of ebay, you can get them for around $35 and I think they work with ILO4. I have a public (static) IP address already. I have disabled the turbo option as 3.3 GHz is more then enough juice for my needs and I don’t see any issue with the stock HP passive heatsink yet. I havn’t used SBS for several years, so what’s included now? I’ll update this blog once it arrives and I have tested it! I was looking for: 64gb ECC udimm ram blocks. I agree, the G1610T is the way to go, the G2020T is marginally faster and probably only worth an extra $10. THX Morton for your info. Sorry, your right, I was thinking about raid 6 and 60 as I had my eyes on 6 before going with raid 10. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/servers/solutions.html?compURI=1499005#tab=TAB4. I just enabled HyperThreading as well now, so all 4 cores, turbo mode and hyperthreading is enabled now. I can’t remember which port I used exactly, except it was USB3 for speed. This is still a new server, time will tell when 16GB modules get cheaper and more people try it. I also bought the G8 Microserver and there is pretty much zero information about CPU upgrades on this server (every blog just mentions its possible to upgrade but no one actually did it). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge_%28microarchitecture%29#Desktop_processors (click through to the Intel ref pages) I’ve tried rebooting the server. NobertK, it is not possible to install 2x 16GB ram blocks. I thought I would post some of my findings which may be helpful to others: For those wanting to use Server 2012 R2 I found following installation of the OS you MUST immediately install HP C020926 which is an older driver for the RAID controller as the one installed by 2012 R2 causes the machine to blue screen and crash. As Daniel said, the M1015 Works fine. HP ProLiant Gen8 MicroServer Xeon E3-1265LV2. Hey Russ, thanks for the info, I was planning to buy this processor and stick it in so glad to see someone is having long term success. Just watch the temperature and if it starts to get hot disable one or two cores to bring it to 35W or get a fan. You have to make brackets for the sides though. Hi I know its late in the game but I wanted to give a BIG shout out to Benjamin Bryan for this blog I was going back and forth about what processor to upgrade my gen 8 to and after reading this blog I got the 1230 v2 and boy am I impressed! Thanks, Michael. I’m keen to give it a go, but the card seems a bit of a waste if it doesn’t (since I’m personally only using RAID1), http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-Netservers/MicroServer-Gen8-is-noisy/m-p/6180865/highlight/true#M20010. HP ProLiant ML310e G8 v2 4U Micro Tower Server - 1 x Intel Xeon E3-1230V3 3.30 GHz 777882-S01 1 offer from $1,664.69 HP MicroServer Gen10 Plus Tower Server for Small Business, Intel Xeon E-2224 … Looks like someone got the Xeon E3-1265L to work: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5895-potential-cpu-upgrade-options-for-microserver-g8/?p=65644. Hey Jacko. 290 € 14199 Wilmersdorf. Thanks Did you configure ESXi using Intelligent Provisioning or how is that done with ESXi? Am I wrong to assume, that I won’t get this working, from what is tated in this KB from VMware? So far from my searches on-line I can’t see anyone else who has tried this so I really hope it works, UPDATE 23/10/2013. For now I haven’t reinstalled it as I’ve got the host basically set up. Just an idea, as I really don’t know. I think the best value is the Xeon E3-1230 V2. ..also much much cheaper and its crucial, which i believe to be decent memory brand. There is a custom ESXi5.5 iso available, ESXi5.5 Update 2. did you set the 120i to RAID or to Legacy? I’ve noticed my fan goes between 32 % and up to 50 %. Limitations always come Down to drive IO. It is also advisable to download and run the HP-SUM to install drivers & HP software: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/products/server-software/product-detail.html?oid=5182020#!tab=features. MrMoi, regarding cables. Think it’s 1.4 or 1.5. Also what benefits do I get using 2 1gb ethernet connections on 1gbps network? Note, if you decide to follow my build take a look at the different motherboard options here: http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/#1667 as there are a few more out since when I made my build. It is very close in performance to an i3, and it does support virtualization. I think it’s safe. You’ll save ~40% on cost. I noticed the Microserver’s fan was a little noisy as well (compared to a server I built in a NZXT case). That part is the most compatible I have found for this server. I have been following this page for a While and a couple of months back it inspired me to buy Xeon en do the upgrade. You have got to be kidding! And no, you can’t configure RAID in vSphere. If you use the HP ESXi installer, the driver is included; otherwise the ‘generic’ ESXi installer from VMWare does not include the driver and the RAID will not work. FBWC, on the other hand, works differently. So I’m still trying to get myself registered as a ‘consumer’ with them. +1 to this. Capacity: 8Gb I’ll try another USB key. Additional comments: If using AHCI or Legacy controller mode, fan noise will occur. •Intel Hyperthreading Enabled – The minimum fan speed is a fickle thing. 29.11.2020. The Gen8 Microserver differs from its predecessors by offering a socketed CPU (socket 1155), making user CPU upgrades possible. But since the chipset supports 32GB max, possibly it’s limited in the BIOS? This setup outperforms some mid-level SANs while also providing better data integrity and more space. So, no. E.g. I would update the Intelligent Provisiong seperately as described here: http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/mostViewedDisplay?javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.prp_efb5c0793523e51970c8fa22b053ce01=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c03458406-2%257CdocLocale%253Den_US&javax.portlet.tpst=efb5c0793523e51970c8fa22b053ce01&sp4ts.oid=5177957&ac.admitted=1387457527405.876444892.199480143. – I have no idea on the HP smart controller. the B120i card in AHCI needs to be passed into a single VM using PCI-passthough (VT-d) but the ODD port needs to remain available…, Whilst it seems the B120i can be passed through OK, I don’t know if it can be separated from the ODD port, and if it works in AHCI mode…. Hallo und Herzlich Willkommen zu unserem Test. I also bought this server and a e3-1230v2 cpu, i think tommorow i will assemble the new cpu in the server and test it! With build in HW RAID fan speed is pretty fixed at 6%. Thankz Morten. In die Gesamtbewertung fällt viele Eigenschaften, sodass das perfekte Testergebniss entsteht. Raid 5 is secured using Parity calculations, while Raid 10 is true mirroring. It’s clearly less than 150W though! Google this to view instructions “HP ProLiant Gen8 Server series – How to Reinstall or Upgrade Intelligent Provisioning on HP Gen8 Server”. The HP Microserver Gen8 has an embedded SATA RAID controller that HP … Googling implies that you MUST use genuine HP SmartMemory. Can’t find any info on this anywhere and you seem to be a knowing guy. Kingston KTH-PL316E/8G, PC3-12800E ECC Ram z.b. I also received a reply from Intel RE: Xeon E3-1265L V2 – they have verified “that the processor E3-1265L has Intel Thermal Monitoring Technologies and it is also equipped with a Digital Thermal Sensor.” The Intel website information has been reported for correction – so all is looking good. Details about HP Proliant MicroServer Gen8 Intel Xeon E3-1220L V2 2.3GHz 16GB RAM NO HDD NO OS See original listing. It all depends on usage. These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off in our systems. So i had to crash the server down. Prepare to be surprised. Hi Morten. If not, after all updated components, could you please post your % CPU fan ? IF you end up buying a P410 Card you should/must buy the extra ram and battery or the performance from that Card will not be better than the onboard one. KTH-PL313LV/16GB Right now, I actually have 3 drives in the ODD bay. I already have a Xeon E3-1230 V2 (69W), and for most people this is a better option because it’s readily available and affordable. I’m guessing you’re danisg too :O) I’m very close to ordering one, but am waiting a little time, waiting for maybe a confirmation that it actually works. http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/261249-raid-10-not-available Video card Gigabyte GeForce GT 630 2GB DDR3 128bit PCIe 2.0 it is compatible with the PCIe slot from microserver gen8 ? Did you have to enter the pcihole settings on the vmx config? https://www.itconnected.tech/blog/intel-c200-series-chipset-quirks/, See also this test program – I get a ‘3’ on the above configuration: In a nutshell – the E3-1265Lv2 is a cracking processor, enables all the virtual machine goodies you need, runs cool enough for the stock heatsink and is at a decent enough price point. Great information about the new Gen8 microserver! my SSD is not listing, do i must 2 check something in the bios? Hp Microserver Gen8 Xeon - Die besten Hp Microserver Gen8 Xeon verglichen! It Means it right now is spinning at 29% instead of always going over 40%, which was very loud (in my ears at least). Do you need ESXi 5.5 by the way. I can hear my Gen8 through a double-drywall – but again, I have rather good hearing :). I have finally received the E3-1230 v2 (box version) and it took me maybe 10 minutes to install it (the old heatsink was a bit stuck). I have changed the SATA power to a Molex to fit my needs. Your email address will not be published. – The E3-1230V2 CPU works just fine, without deactivating cores or hyperthreading. If so which brand and part #? Wechseln wir unseren Blick darauf, was fremde Betroffene über das Produkt zu äußern haben. Means it will be almost impossible to use 32gb as UDIMM is the “discount” ECC version and really aren’t available in 2x16gb kits. Are we in agreement that RamCity is the only contender right now? I booted ESXi from internal USB port as first run, and run ESXi installer, installing directly on the same USB key. Right now I have yet to find a server board mini ITX that handles 32gb and up. Ah kool i never got the pass through working for Im-sensors in ESXi always displays 100 degrees. I want to put 4 SSD the server, 1 for the os on the ODD en the 3 others for vms and datastore and 1 HDD for a daily back-up of the server. EN 61000-3-3, I was a little worried about the right-angle connector, but it’s flexible enough to not be a problem. Count: 18 – Intel Xeon E3-1265L2 They are usually only set in response to actions made by you which amount to a request for services, such … Hi, HP ProLiant DL360 G7 1U 64-bit Server with 2xSix-Core X5650 Xeon 2.66GHz + 32GB RAM + 4x146GB 10K SAS HDD, RAID, NO OS 4.4 out of 5 stars 19 More Buying Choices $139.99 (12 used offers) I’ll take a free Microserver from HP any day! The following operating environment is required to expose the server to this issue and HP strongly recommends immediate application of the System ROM update described in the Resolution section below : http://www.ramcity.com.au/buy/ramcity-32gb-pc3-10600-ecc-unbuffered-240-pin-dimm-kit-2x-16gb/2xCVZ-MAC, Hi, Richard. I have tested using 2 different kits of non-ecc and it would boot on neither. Heya Jan. My problem is that I have 2 pcs of 3TB NL-SAS HDDs, but if I put them in the rack and push them in, they are not recognized at all by the raid card. Does anyone know If I buy an ILO license from the USA can I use it on my UK Gen8? I apologize for not making follow-up posts. Oh I wish there were two slots!. Performance is really bad unless you get the flash and battery, so remember to add that. HP MicroServer Gen8, Xeon E3-1265Lv2 16GB RAM, SmartArray P410+Bat, ohne DVD+HDD. If so, i’ll rip it out and put it in the Gen8. I can’t use another SATA card as I already have the slot filled by an extra NIC I need…. •Extended Page Tables Enabled (this functionality is enabled or disabled by the Hypervisor) Hi, with the stock Celeron g1610T CPU, and the bios released 8/14, I’m seeing 33watts with no drives, and about 60watts with 4 500GB 7200RPM SATA drives. http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Dell-MX714-Floppy-FDD-to-Sata-Power-Converter-Cable-/400298253923?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d33a29e63. It is. You’re welcome Senator, I’m not sure, I didn’t realize it had an onboard GPU so it will probably work without an HD graphics processor… If I had a VGA cord for my monitor I’d try it but I’ve gone to HDMI cables. There are comments on a HP forum where the minimum speed is related to whether a HP disk is installed or not. Thanks to Harpinder for stating the obious :O) I will be playing with this version in the evening. Simply just a no-go. The added active fan on CPU will also (hopefully) help cooling some of the hotter areas like LOM and Chipset. my mistake, E3-1230v2 instead v3, a careless typo :/. http://www.intelligentmemory.com/dram-modules/dram-modules.php?tab=01&_DDR3_DIMM, Technical Specifications The ACPI Thermal Zone does however measure the CPU’s package temperature (x86_pkg_temp) . Hi Gareth, I got a Dell floppy->SATA power connector on eBay which works fine for powering a 2.5″ HDD. Still noisy in my opinion. With a good cpu and a pcie Video card can i play games on it ? Well, Plex recommends at least 2.4 GHz (the Celeron is 2.3 GHz) dual core processor for transcoding. HP uses this on some of their ODD drives, but it is uncommon on non-HP ODD drives. The twin 500GB disks have run 24×7 for 4 years now, so time to upgrade to SSD maybe. Notwithstanding the above, our products come with consumer guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law (ACL). If i configure 4x3tb WD red in RAID 10 now, will i be able to upgrade to M1015 card in the future without problems or will I have to configure something? If its mostly for media storage and file sharing I’d go for a NAS and then stream to some box placed at your TV. Don’t trust the temp reading, it’s buggy and will always stay to 40°C whatever is the CPU real temp. I highly recommend you to have a look to this forum: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9195-new-service-pack-2015040-9-apr-2015/. We all have this issue :(. Or the shorter tower server for small businesses: If you want to build your own Microserver, I have two builds for you to check out: Supermicro X10SDV – Datacenter in a Box and AMD EPYC Home Server Build. Normal 3½ drives (including RED) can’t saturate a 3Gb sata. |:-). Hp Proliant Microserver Gen8 Xeon - Die ausgezeichnetesten Hp Proliant Microserver Gen8 Xeon im Überblick. Yes, as far as I can tell. This may or may not matter to you. Didn’t realize that onboard RAID 5 wasn’t supported until I got the server. I’m playing with XBMC on a Win 7 machine, and I’ve set video RAM to 128MB, but mouse movement and menu handling is really choppy. It will easily handle Plex Transcoding of 1080p… the Default Celeron should be able to do it as well. My server is located in a tiny room along with my synology ds 1513+. Meet Ting. Consider you buy 4 identical discs. My logs suggest that it hasn’t changed in a year while every other temperature has. Main drawbacks: Having to license ILO4 for some features I think should be standard rubs me the wrong way. Ended: Nov 10, 2020. Thank you in advance! My experience with many of these cheap devices are the power supplies and oftentimes other bits fail in short order but I’m very happy with this quiet, low power setup I have for a standalone virtual host. Ohh, I see that now. Hi Morten, This appears to be partly true: The BIOS appears to read the airflow temperature through the disk cage using SMART parameters on the disk, and adjust the airflow accordingly. I bought a bigger CPU as I sometimes have a lot more running, so wanted the extra horsepower when needed. My primary concern is annual power consumption, though secondarily I’m also considering the hardware costs. I had given up on the PCI graphics passthrough but it sound like you cracked it. How have you guys installed either a SSD or ODD? The Gen8 Microserver differs from its predecessors by offering a socketed CPU (socket 1155), making user CPU upgrades possible. Some of the links posted above for the cable adapters required are in actual fact wrong, the slimline drives use a MINI Sata power connection and therefore you will need a cable to suit such as: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0027FFRP4/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Daniel, i just checked out your link (after my last post). I used this Cooler Master paste, $5 at Amazon: http://amzn.to/14bN93p I think just about any CPU thermal paste would work. HP Document ID: c03898077 Note, this is the most recent revision of this drive… be careful to avoid the older model. That’s all I can think of now, for bitlocker there is no AES on the G1610T so you won’t have hardware assisted encryption. Update April 12, 2020. Doesn’t seem like it. Ilo 2 and 3 licenses Work with ilo4 as well btw. Whoops, that’s up to 128GB on that board, not 64GB.. Hi, these day’s its hard to get the cpu you mentioned. Parminder, I’ve now compaired the two models, and it seems that they support the same RAID levels. Ben, Here is the reply from the mail I got from them…. Jacko, Only I don’t have the 3.0 support. I recommend Hwinfo utility to measure temperature from CPU sensor and not use ILO sensors which is incorrect. I figure worse case I could disable two of the four cores to bring it down to 35W. Here are a couple of observations – all with an AC power meter connected. I got a M1015 also (very cheap) and all is working great. I am looking forward your feedback regarding your CPU fan percentage as I am also willing to buy such Xeon and noise is a concern. Reinstalling 5.1 fixed the passthrough for the USB 2.0 ports. But mine is running at 32 % now. I’m just curiuos, do you have two disks in the ODD bay, and how did you hook it up? I don’t know with maintainance the website, if you can do this remote, but I guess that RDP sessions could get you access the the machines. Seems its tied to raid controller somehow and I’m using an P410 instead of the onboard controller. I’ve installed a Xeon E3-1265L V2 and the server is running centos 6 very smoothly now (4core with hyperthreading). Hp Microserver Gen8 Xeon - Der absolute Vergleichssieger unserer Produkttester. People are duck taping it, or pluggin it out the LED of its fitting, and pointing it away. I’ll send another update once I’ve tested it! In any case, I’d start out with build-in RAID and see if it doesn’t fit the bill. At low voltage (1.35 V), HP SmartMemory operates at DDR3-1333 MHz with one and two DIMMs per channel and at DDR3-1066 MHz at three DIMMs per channel. Neither did my 2x8gb non-ecc ram from my PC (high end), so I’m at 2×4 ecc at the moment. Furthermore, I would not recommend using the B120i with ESXi as unless you are using the P222 or P420i with FWBC, it will perform poorly in anything than RAID 0/1 without the FWBC anyway. Only when the big manufacturers start producing it will HP add them to their HP Smart Memory list. It’s a well known bug with no solution from HP just like the ACPI and fan issue. Wattermeter shows G2020T and E3-1240 has same watt. The other processors, e.g. unbuffered, ACPI 2.0b, Should I consider getting one with the possibility of upgrading to E3-1265Lv3? transferring some data via USB drive to eliminate the network effect. ;), You’re welcome. Did you order any in the end? Will be fine for storage without though. You don’t really need an SSD, but I understand why SSD is nice. I’m just copying/restoring 600GB across my Gigabit network to the NAS (via SMB) and it’s suggesting 18 hours. so getting a Xeon E3 that supports VT-d would be better. http://ark.intel.com/compare/65726,65727,65728, Thanks again for all of the guidance. Any other ideas gratefully received! I’d rather go with a real Synology og Qnap nas or make a nas from an N40L or even an N36L (or whats its name). No, ESXi does not interfere and it cannot do so. But if you notice the site going down a lot feel free to drop another comment to let me know. It has the lightening port so last year I added 16GB RAM and a drobo external RAID array for backup and possibly to run VMs on if it was stable and fast enough- which it is. I am about to buy microserver and since I only have experiance with synology, without using RAID, I have some questions. Not sure what i’m going to install now. This exact thing happened to me on a Synology nas 3 weeks ago. Wir begrüßen Sie als Interessierten Leser auf unserer Webpräsenz. But MegaCLI is great for this! I didn’t measure, but the holes are not placed in a Square as normal. Kingston Gegen den Sieger kam keiner gegen an. Morten, do you have the Gen8 microserver? Der entscheidene Sieger sollte im Hp Proliant Microserver Gen8 Vergleich sich gegen die Anderen durchsetzen. One problem you might have with the Noctua is it blows straight up and there’s not a lot of room above the CPU, I think it will fit but you might be better off with a fan designed for a 1U server that blows air towards the back of the case. Well, I’ve went with RAID 10 now that I can’t choose RAID 5. – I have not tried to add an ODD DVD drive but I’m sure it’s possible. Raid 5 requires lots of cpu in order to process the parity data needed, either from raidcontroller or from the real cpu, in which case you are dealing with software raid 5. Is it the webservice that’s unstable? You could use an Avoton board to save money–however since you said the V2 is dated you’re probably looking for something more powerful like the Xeon-D build.